Recipe by Montana Heart Song
A great side dish or complete meal with buns or bread. The gravy is utterly delicious! Made with onion soup mix and apple juice. Made in a crockpot. You get the crunch of the green pepper and onion and the comfort of the barley and the gravy.
- 12 -14 large whole mushrooms, washed
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 (1 1/2 ounce) envelopeslipton dry onion soup mix
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups apple juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Get out your large crockpot with lid.
- Add mushrooms, green pepper,barley, dry onion soup mix, water and apple juice.
- Stir so the dry onions are in the liquid and not sitting on top of the mushrooms.
- Set on high and cook approximately 6 hours.
- Stir once in a while.
- This recipe is very forgiving. Sometimes I put in the crockpot before retiring for the night. In the morning a quick stir, and sometimes add a little more water. Stir.
- Put it in a microwave dish, refrigerate and
- reheat that evening.
- Note: Sometimes I scatter canned chopped red piemento slices on the top before serving. It adds color.