Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Creamy mushroom canape
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 3⁄4 ounces melted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped fine
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced fine
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 ounce grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Brush both sides of the bread with the melted butter.
- Cut each slice in half vertically, then each half into 3 horizontally.
- Bake on a baking sheet for 5-10 minutes, till golden and crisp.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring, over low heat until the onion is soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour sherry into pan.
- Blend the sour cream and cornflour together and add to the mushrooms, stir until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the herbs.
- Allow to cool.
- Spread the mushroom mixture onto each croute (bread) and sprinkle with the parmesan.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh herbs if desired.