Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the 3rd recipe I have entered today from the "1 of a Kind" cookbook of the Junior League of Mobile, AL & I have no clue about the meaning of Delwood. This Junior League sure does have some tasty & easy-to-fix gems. I have not tried this one, but I suspect that status will not last long. Enjoy!
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (washed & sliced)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese
- 1 cup herb stuffing mix (dry)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large saucepan over med heat, dissolve bouillon cubes in the water. Stir in the flour, milk & cheese. Cook till well-thickened, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat source, stir in sliced mushrooms & mix well to get good coverage w/sauce.
- Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle stuffing mix over over top & dot w/butter.
- Cover & bake for 30 min, then uncover & bake 10 min more. Serve immediately.
- NOTES: 1) You will want this sauce to be very thick as the mushrooms will add their liquid to thin it as the dish cooks. 2) The sauce will be salty, but much less so when the mushroom liquid joins it. If this is a concern, cut back to 1 bouillon cube. 3) I also did not find this dish in need of any butter added to the top.
Loved these mushrooms! They had great flavor and texture. I made half of the recipe but used a little more stuffing mix. This is a recipe I'll use again - thanks for sharing it!
Twiss, this recipe is delicious! I made 2-2 1/2 and ended up eating it all myself at one meal! I'm so ashamed. As you said the the sauce should be very thick (and mine wasn't) I added some more flour. It was then VERY thick so I proceeded and as you said the mushroom juice helped to thin it BUT I would recommend to go by the recipe because there wasn't enough moisture to really soften the stuffing mix well all the way through. I didn't use the extra butter and didn't miss it. I'm just SO pleased with this that I'm adding it to my Christmas menu. I'll make it a couple more times to be sure that I have the right moisture content. I think I'll be able to suffer through eating this again before Christmas. I think I have enough mushies left for a 1 person serving tomorrow, lol. Made for Photo Tag.