Recipe by Tea Girl
A new take on the traditional Welsh rarebit with Welsh ingredients. Based on this recipe: http://www.visitwales.co.uk/about-wales-guide-to-wales-culture-people-and-language/food/welsh-recipes/food-old/#2 Serve with rocket salad.
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 30 g butter
- 30 g plain flour
- 200 ml milk
- 100 g teifi cheese (for example Beemster) or 100 g good quality gouda cheese (for example Beemster)
- 100 ml cwrw idris ale or 100 ml other good quality bitter ale
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/Gas mark 6.
- Prepare the mushrooms, wipe with damp kitchen towel and remove the centre stalk.
- Place the mushrooms, olive oil and garlic in an oven proof dish and leave to marinade for 30 minutes, can do longer if you want to do this ahead of time.
- Make a roux with the flour and butter and cook over a low heat for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the milk and beer.
- Stir over a low heat until mixture reaches boiling point, reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Add the mustard and most of the cheese and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile roast the mushrooms for about 10 minutes until beginning to soften. Remove from the oven and top with the rarebit topping, sprinkling over the remaining cheese.
- Heat the grill to medium setting and grill until golden brown. Serve as is or good toasted bread with salad.