Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is how I sauté mushrooms and onions to serve with grilled steak. I've been doing it this way for years and never really thought of it as a recipe until today when my husband mentioned that it was the best he'd ever had. If you have leftovers, make an omelet with them with smoked swiss cheese and serve with hot, steaming bowls of tomato soup with basil. Just trust me on that.
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms (I use crimini but white work as well)
- 1 medium onion, sliced into wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Melt the butter and olive oil together in a frying pan and add the mushrooms and onions; let them cook slowly, over medium heat, until the mushrooms are getting a little brown and the onions are nice and soft, about 20 minutes.
- While there's still some moisture left from the mushrooms, add the Worcestershire sauce and garlic salt.
- The mixture will thicken and it's ready to serve.
- Serve with grilled steak and use leftovers for omelets.
- Makes 4 servings if served with steak.
This was tasty, but I would recommend starting to cook the onions before adding the mushrooms as they take much longer to carmelize. The worchestershire adds a nice flavor. I will make this again. I had very few leftover, but I'd bet they would taste great on a grilled cheese sandwich. Maybe lunch tomorrow.
This was a very good recipe. I've made it before and really liked it, but this time I added about 1T Balsamic Vinegar when I added the worcestershire sauce. That addition put it right over the top! Thanks so much for posting, Hey Jude!
This is a pretty good base recipe made from things you already have on hand. I made it exactly as directed the first time and they were good. DH made some simple suggestions the second time that put these over the top! I just added 2 cloves of minced garlic, a teaspoon of Kosher salt and a teaspoon of black pepper. I cooked the onions for about 7 minutes before I added the mushrooms and that helped them caramelize more. They were perfect!