Recipe by Hey Jude
This is how I sauté mushrooms and onions to serve with grilled steak. I've been doing it this way for years and never really thought of it as a recipe until today when my husband mentioned that it was the best he'd ever had. If you have leftovers, make an omelet with them with smoked swiss cheese and serve with hot, steaming bowls of tomato soup with basil. Just trust me on that.
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms (I use crimini but white work as well)
- 1 medium onion, sliced into wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter and olive oil together in a frying pan and add the mushrooms and onions; let them cook slowly, over medium heat, until the mushrooms are getting a little brown and the onions are nice and soft, about 20 minutes.
- While there's still some moisture left from the mushrooms, add the Worcestershire sauce and garlic salt.
- The mixture will thicken and it's ready to serve.
- Serve with grilled steak and use leftovers for omelets.
- Makes 4 servings if served with steak.