1/1 Photo of Mushrooms and Artichokes En Croute
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
My friend Bethan, from Wales, who is a vegetarian sent this recipe to me. I just love mushrooms and artichoke hearts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package puff pastry (frozen)
- 4 1/2 cups mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts (drained)
- 2 shallots (sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 ounce vegan margarine
- 4 tablespoons soy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon madeira wine or 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon chives (snipped)
- 1 tablespoon spelt flour
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup silk soy coffee creamer (for glaze)
- 1Allow the puff pastry to thaw for at least 40 minutes at room temperature. I used Sara Lee Puff Pastry, its Parve. :-).
- 2Preheat your oven to 400'F.
- 3Slice the mushrooms and quarter the artichoke hearts. Saute gently in margarine until soft.
- 4Add artichoke hearts and wine.
- 5Saute gently for a few minutes. Add the flour, salt and pepper, stir to combine. Add the soy sour cream and snipped chives.
- 6Cook until thickened. Set aside to cool.
- 7On a lightly floured surface roll out one sheet of puff pastry. The box should have two sheets in it.
- 8Make a rectangle about 13x16". Trim the uneven edges. Keep the trimmings for decoration.
- 9I put parchment on the baking sheet so it wouldn't burn. Lay the puff pastry on the baking sheet and prick it all over.
- 10Bake for about 15 minutes. Keep an eye on it, it browns fast.
- 11Remove from the oven and set on a rack to cool.
- 12Prepare the second sheet of puff pastry. Roll it out a bit bigger then the other one and brush the edges with the soy creamer.
- 13Dump the mushroom artichoke filling onto the already baked pastry.
- 14At this point you can mound it to look like a loaf. Place the second sheet of puff pastry over it and tuck in the edges.
- 15Roll out the left over pastry you saved for decoration and make long pieces. Create a lattice pattern over the pastry and brush with the remaining soy creamer.
- 16Make two small holes in the pastry for a steam vent.
- 17Bake at 400'F for about 40 minutes. Once again keep an eye on it. My oven cooks hot, so I took it out sooner.
- 18Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushrooms and Artichokes En Croute
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 757.7
- Calories from Fat 425
- Total Fat 47.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 640.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 15.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
soy sour cream
soy coffee creamer