Prep 35 mins
Cook 55 mins
My friend Bethan, from Wales, who is a vegetarian sent this recipe to me. I just love mushrooms and artichoke hearts.
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package puff pastry (frozen)
- 4 1⁄2 cups mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts (drained)
- 2 shallots (sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 ounce vegan margarine
- 4 tablespoons soy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon madeira wine or 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon chives (snipped)
- 1 tablespoon spelt flour
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup silk soy coffee creamer (for glaze)
- Allow the puff pastry to thaw for at least 40 minutes at room temperature. I used Sara Lee Puff Pastry, its Parve. :-).
- Preheat your oven to 400'F.
- Slice the mushrooms and quarter the artichoke hearts. Saute gently in margarine until soft.
- Add artichoke hearts and wine.
- Saute gently for a few minutes. Add the flour, salt and pepper, stir to combine. Add the soy sour cream and snipped chives.
- Cook until thickened. Set aside to cool.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out one sheet of puff pastry. The box should have two sheets in it.
- Make a rectangle about 13x16". Trim the uneven edges. Keep the trimmings for decoration.
- I put parchment on the baking sheet so it wouldn't burn. Lay the puff pastry on the baking sheet and prick it all over.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Keep an eye on it, it browns fast.
- Remove from the oven and set on a rack to cool.
- Prepare the second sheet of puff pastry. Roll it out a bit bigger then the other one and brush the edges with the soy creamer.
- Dump the mushroom artichoke filling onto the already baked pastry.
- At this point you can mound it to look like a loaf. Place the second sheet of puff pastry over it and tuck in the edges.
- Roll out the left over pastry you saved for decoration and make long pieces. Create a lattice pattern over the pastry and brush with the remaining soy creamer.
- Make two small holes in the pastry for a steam vent.
- Bake at 400'F for about 40 minutes. Once again keep an eye on it. My oven cooks hot, so I took it out sooner.
- Bon Appetit!