Mushrooms a la Grecque is a French dish in which mushrooms are prepared in a Greek style with lemon juice, olive oil, and Greek herbs and spices. This recipe is adapted from The Food of France
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry vermouth or 1 1⁄4 cups dry white wine
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 cup mineral water
- 1 lb button mushrooms or 1 lb white mushroom
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch sugar
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Wash the mushrooms and set aside.
- Put the tomatoes, olive oil, vermouth or white wine, shallots, garlic, coriander seeds, bay leaf, thyme, and water in a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then put in the mushrooms, and simmer for 10 more minutes, uncovered.
- Remove the mushrooms and place in a serving dish.
- Boil the liquid until there is only 1 cup.
- Take out the bay leaf and thyme.
- Add the lemon juice, pinch of sugar, and a few grinds of sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour liquid over mushrooms; garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve warm, or refrigerate and then serve chilled.
- *Youcan use a variety of mushrooms in place of the white mushrooms: Baby Portobellos, Crimini, Shitake.