Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
can be served as an appetizer or used as a quesadilla filling
Make and share this Mushrooms a la Galera recipe from Food.com.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a slightly damp cloth or paper towels; trim the bottoms of the stems and cut the mushrooms lengthwise into slices.
- Set aside.
- In a medium heavy skillet, fry the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp but not overbrowned.
- Lift out the bacon onto paper towels, letting as much fat as possible drain back into the pan.
- Pour the bacon fat into a large wide skillet and heat over medium-high heat until rippling.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, chiles, and cilantro and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes, or until the juices released by the mushrooms have nearly evaporated.
- Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a wide broilerproof baking dish and scatter the bacon and the shredded cheese over the top.
- Run under the broiler for a few minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Serve at once.
This is really great..it should be a main dish itself! I made it as a side, and it was much too heavy for a side dish...maybe I'm just too used to regular mushroom sides. The taste is specatacular...it is like a stuffed mushrooom sauteed instead of stuffed! This dish is great as a main dish...don't force it to be a side or a vegetable!
Mushrooms are the "thing" on Friday nights at the Farm. It just seems like a "Friday" thing. And these babies are wonderful. They are so tantalizing, savory, and it would be hard not to eat the whole thing. I followed this exactly~except I served these in small ramekins that sat next to the steak that I had prepared. The bacon and chilies are a must, and I can see the addition of garlic is so inclined. Truly great little recipe you have here, ~Nimz~ .....oh yum!
Mushrooms are one of my favorites and this recipe is wonderful, I did not have any manchego cheese so I use mozzarella, I doubled the recipe I only wish I would have tripled the recipe and I will be certain to do that the next time, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten :)