Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A recipe from "Zarela's VeraCruz"--Champinones from the Restoràn Galera in Xico. This dish could also be turned into an appetizer — a quesadilla-like filling for folded tortillas (freshly made, if possible). The flavor of epazote is preferable, but you can substitute 10 cilantro sprigs, if you have to.
- 1 lb mushroom
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 -4 jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 sprigs epazote, leaves only, finely chopped (or 2 teaspoons crumbled dried epazote)
- 4 ounces manchego cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a slightly damp cloth or paper towels; trim the bottoms of the stems and cut the mushrooms lengthwise into slices; set aside.
- In a medium heavy skillet, fry the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp but not overbrowned.
- Lift out the bacon onto paper towels, letting as much fat as possible drain back into the pan.
- Heat over medium-high heat until the fat is rippling.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Preheat the Broiler.
- Add the mushrooms, chiles, and epazote and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes, or until the juices released by the mushrooms have nearly evaporated.
- Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a wide broilerproof baking dish and scatter the bacon and the shredded cheese over the top. Run under the broiler for a few minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Serve at once.
This is a nice combination of flavors, although I also did not locate the epazote. It still was a delicious dish with eggs and tortillas. Thanks for posting.
These are wonderful, really enjoyed them. They are very easy to make. I made them just as posted. Only I was not able to find the epazote and since I'm not a friend of cilantro I left it out. Great recipe thank you.
I`m in the middle of remodeling my kitchen so I had to do something I don`t like to! That is use my microwave for cooking! I don`t use it often but it came in handy for this. I nuked the bacon for 2 minutes added the onions jalapenoes, and nuked for 2 minutes, tossed in the shrooms and spices nuked for 2 minutes. At which point they were still firm no release of liquid. I placed the cheese on and nuked for 1 more minute. This kept the mushrooms more al dente! I was going to make 1/2 the recipe and I`m glad I didn`t because for these would be great in an omelet or and egg wrap for breakfast!!!! Thanks!!