1 hr 20 mins
An unusual recipe for wheat berries in that in contains no dried fruit. Nothing wrong with fruit but sometimes you need a side dish that isn't sweet. What I like about this recipe (apart from its goodness and healthiness) is the way you can prep the next step while the previous one is sauteing. Just start the wheat berries and the rice, heat the oil while you chop the onion and you're off! Can easily be prepared as vegan. The cooking time includes cooking the wheat berries and rice, the rest does not take as long and can be set aside while the berries finish. From foodnetwork.com credited to Alton Brown
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions (yellow is best for sauteing)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter (or more olive oil)
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups wheat berries, cooked (see Basic Cooked Wheat Berries for basic instructions)
- 1 1/2 cups white rice or 1 1/2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 11.Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over low heat. Add onions and saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- 22. Add garlic and continue to saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 33. Add the butter or additional oil, and let melt.
- 44. Add mushrooms and soy sauce, increase the heat to medium and continue cooking until mushrooms release their liquid, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- 55. Add wine and broth and simmer until wine begins to evaporate, about 5 minutes.
- 66. Add all remaining ingredients (Cooked rice and cooked wheat berries through lemon zest) and heat through.
- 77. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Wheat Berry Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.4
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 806.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: