Recipe by TCookie
This is a recipe printed in the San Jose Mercury News HomePlates column, listed as being from the now-defunct Good Earth restaurant chain. It is a hearty vegetarian dish which I remember enjoying in college. I have not made this recipe yet, I won't find enough takers at my house right now, but wanted to get it posted so it doesn't get lost again.
Brown Rice Pilaf
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 177.44 ml uncooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 1.23 ml oregano, crumbled
- 354.88 ml water
Mushroom Walnut Mixture
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters and thinly sliced
- 226.79 g mushroom, sliced
- 709.77 ml thinly sliced broccoli (stems and bite-sized florets)
- 118.29 ml slivered water chestnut
- 1 clove garlic, minced (I'd probably add more)
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 236.59 ml shredded monterey jack cheese
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- orange slice (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- For pilaf:.
- Heat oil in 2 quart saucepan.
- Stir in rice and cook and stir until it begins to brown.
- Add onion, stirring until lightly browned.
- Add bouillon cube, salt, ginger, oregano and water, stirring to combine.
- Cover and lower heat to simmer.
- Cook until rice is just tender, about 30 minutes.
- For mushroom/walnut mixture:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat, add walnuts and stir until lightly browned.
- Remove with slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add onions and mushrooms to oil and brown lightly, remove with slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add broccoli and saute until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in onions, mushrooms, water chestnuts and garlic.
- Remove from heat and add walnuts, soy sauce and sour cream.
- Stir lightly to coat vegetables.
- Spread brown rice pilaf in greased, shallow 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Cover with vegetable mixture, and sprinkle evenly with cheeses.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 20 minutes.
- Serve garnished with orange slices.
- Cooking time below is approximate, as I think you can do the pilaf and mushroom mixture concurrently.