1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe printed in the San Jose Mercury News HomePlates column, listed as being from the now-defunct Good Earth restaurant chain. It is a hearty vegetarian dish which I remember enjoying in college. I have not made this recipe yet, I won't find enough takers at my house right now, but wanted to get it posted so it doesn't get lost again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Brown Rice Pilaf
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups water
Mushroom Walnut Mixture
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters and thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 3 cups thinly sliced broccoli (stems and bite-sized florets)
- 1/2 cup slivered water chestnut
- 1 clove garlic, minced (I'd probably add more)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- orange slice (to garnish)
- 1For pilaf:.
- 2Heat oil in 2 quart saucepan.
- 3Stir in rice and cook and stir until it begins to brown.
- 4Add onion, stirring until lightly browned.
- 5Add bouillon cube, salt, ginger, oregano and water, stirring to combine.
- 6Cover and lower heat to simmer.
- 7Cook until rice is just tender, about 30 minutes.
- 8For mushroom/walnut mixture:.
- 9Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 10Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat, add walnuts and stir until lightly browned.
- 11Remove with slotted spoon and reserve.
- 12Add onions and mushrooms to oil and brown lightly, remove with slotted spoon and reserve.
- 13Add broccoli and saute until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes.
- 14Stir in onions, mushrooms, water chestnuts and garlic.
- 15Remove from heat and add walnuts, soy sauce and sour cream.
- 16Stir lightly to coat vegetables.
- 17Spread brown rice pilaf in greased, shallow 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- 18Cover with vegetable mixture, and sprinkle evenly with cheeses.
- 19Bake until cheese melts, about 20 minutes.
- 20Serve garnished with orange slices.
- 21Cooking time below is approximate, as I think you can do the pilaf and mushroom mixture concurrently.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Walnut Au Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 836.1
- Calories from Fat 554
- Total Fat 61.5 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 67.4 mg
- Sodium 918.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 27.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes