Creamy Mushrooms in vol au vent shells - perfect as a starter or as a side dish. Taken from Popular French Cooking by Mary Berry 1972 edition.
- If you would rather not make the pastry you can purchase Vol au Vent shells and can skip the first several steps.
- Roll the pastry out to 1/4 inches thick on a well floured board.
- Cut six 3 inches circles with a pastry cutter. Make a smaller cut 1/4 " inside each case all around but do not cut all the way through.
- Place on ungreased baking tray and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Brush the tops of the cases with the egg and water glaze and bake at 400 degree for 20 minutes or until well risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack then carefully remove the lids with a sharp knife and scoop out any uncooked mixture.
- melt the butter in a skillet and add the sliced mushrooms. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Blend in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Blend in the milk, bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for 2 minutes.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Fill the prepared cases with the filling, replace the lids and return to a 400 degree oven for another 10 - 15 minutes. Be careful they do not burn.
- prep time includes making the shells.