1/1 Photo of Mushroom Vol Au Vent
K9 Owned's Note:
Creamy Mushrooms in vol au vent shells - perfect as a starter or as a side dish. Taken from Popular French Cooking by Mary Berry 1972 edition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1If you would rather not make the pastry you can purchase Vol au Vent shells and can skip the first several steps.
- 2Roll the pastry out to 1/4 inches thick on a well floured board.
- 3Cut six 3 inches circles with a pastry cutter. Make a smaller cut 1/4 " inside each case all around but do not cut all the way through.
- 4Place on ungreased baking tray and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- 5Brush the tops of the cases with the egg and water glaze and bake at 400 degree for 20 minutes or until well risen and golden.
- 6Cool on a wire rack then carefully remove the lids with a sharp knife and scoop out any uncooked mixture.
- 8melt the butter in a skillet and add the sliced mushrooms. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- 9Blend in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- 10Blend in the milk, bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for 2 minutes.
- 11Season well with salt and pepper.
- 12Fill the prepared cases with the filling, replace the lids and return to a 400 degree oven for another 10 - 15 minutes. Be careful they do not burn.
- 13prep time includes making the shells.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Vol Au Vent
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.3
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 53.3 mg
- Sodium 218.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 7.8 g