Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this in a Rachael Ray cookbook while in my dentists office. I don't remember which cookbook it was...but I immediately search out the mushroom recipes, and this is what I found.
- 4 portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 lime
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, cut in half and then sliced into half-moons
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pale beer or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup spicy vegetarian refried beans
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 4 English muffins
- 2 cups spicy monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place mushrooms on a rimmed cookie sheet; season with salt and pepper, the juice of one lime, about 2 Tbsp of the vegetable oil, half the chopped garlic and 1 Tbsp of the chili powder; tossing them about to coat the mushrooms thoroughly with the seasonings.
- Arrange the mushrooms gill side up; put them in the oven and roast for 12 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven, and cover with foil to keep them warm.
- Preheat a large soup pot over medium heat and add remaining 2 Tbsp veg oil; add onions, peppers, zucchini and garlic.
- Season the veggies with the cumin, the remaining chili powder, the hot pepper sauce and 1 tsp salt; saute for 5-6 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the beer or veg broth.
- Add the tomatoes and kidney beans to the veggies and stir to combine.
- Thicken the chili by stirring in the refried beans. Simmer over low het for about 10 minutes.
- Toss in the cilantro.
- While the sloppy chili is simmering, tot the English muffins.
- Place one roasted mushroom on the bottom half of each muffin. Place a large helping of veggies on top of the mushroom; sprinkle with shredded cheese, and top with English muffin tops.