Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This soup tastes unbelievably rich! It is diabetic friendly having 2 vegetable exchanges and 1 fat exchange per serving. It is also low carb! For a different texture leave the sliced mushrooms out of the pureeing step and add them in with the sherry at the end.
- 453.59 g whole mushroom
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine, divided
- 236.59 ml carrot, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml celery, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 396.89 g can beef broth
- 473.18 ml water
- 59.14 ml tomato paste
- 9.85 ml parsley flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml dry sherry
- Clean mushrooms, slice half and set aside. Chop remaining mushrooms and saute them in 1 T. butter in a large soup pot.
- Add all remaining vegetables (except the SLICED mushrooms) and cook 6-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in broth, water, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Simmer, covered for 1 hour over low heat.
- Remove bay leaf.
- In a large skillet, melt remaining butter and saute sliced mushrooms till tender.
- At this point if you do not want sliced mushrooms in the finished product ADD mushrooms to soup pot, if you want sliced mushrooms in the finished product set them aside.
- Puree soup in a blender in batches. Take care to hold on to the cover as this is a HOT mixture and the cover will fly off if you don't.
- Return mixture to soup pot. Add the sherry and if you reserved the sliced mushrooms add them to the pot now.
- Heat gently, stirring often.
Very delicious soup - possibly the best soup I've made at home. I used a mixture of white button and crimini mushrooms, and leeks instead of celery. Otherwise made as directed and chose to puree the mixture in the blender and then add the mushrooms set aside. I will definitely make this recipe often as it is just about perfect - tasty, low in fat, has lots of veggies and easy to make. Thanks, Michelle!
Absolutely delicious soup, I used my stick blender and pureed the lot. I added another 2 cups of beef broth as well and it was still lovely and thick, great soup, thanks for sharing.
Delicious!and easy too! Made this for lunch today and the rest for the freezer for future lunches.Lovely flavour. DH is not too fond of mushrooms so I elected to puree all of the mushrooms, he loved the soup! The addition of the sherry adds so much flavour to the soup. I just did a light puree on it so it was quite thick and very delicious. Thanks for sharing this lovely keeper!