Recipe by Michelle S.
This soup tastes unbelievably rich! It is diabetic friendly having 2 vegetable exchanges and 1 fat exchange per serving. It is also low carb! For a different texture leave the sliced mushrooms out of the pureeing step and add them in with the sherry at the end.
Top Review by Dimpi
Very delicious soup - possibly the best soup I've made at home. I used a mixture of white button and crimini mushrooms, and leeks instead of celery. Otherwise made as directed and chose to puree the mixture in the blender and then add the mushrooms set aside. I will definitely make this recipe often as it is just about perfect - tasty, low in fat, has lots of veggies and easy to make. Thanks, Michelle!
- 1 lb whole mushroom
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean mushrooms, slice half and set aside. Chop remaining mushrooms and saute them in 1 T. butter in a large soup pot.
- Add all remaining vegetables (except the SLICED mushrooms) and cook 6-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in broth, water, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Simmer, covered for 1 hour over low heat.
- Remove bay leaf.
- In a large skillet, melt remaining butter and saute sliced mushrooms till tender.
- At this point if you do not want sliced mushrooms in the finished product ADD mushrooms to soup pot, if you want sliced mushrooms in the finished product set them aside.
- Puree soup in a blender in batches. Take care to hold on to the cover as this is a HOT mixture and the cover will fly off if you don't.
- Return mixture to soup pot. Add the sherry and if you reserved the sliced mushrooms add them to the pot now.
- Heat gently, stirring often.