Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Posted by request.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 thinly sliced sandwich loaf white bread
- Put onion, mushrooms and butter in a frying pan.
- Saute until soft and onions are clear.
- Add cream cheese in chunks.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- Cool completely.
- Remove crusts from bread.
- Roll each slice with a rolling pin.
- Spread mushroom mixture on each slice.
- For dainty hors d'oeuvres, roll up in a jelly roll fashion and brush with melted butter.
- Place on a tray if freezing.
- Freeze and store in a plastic bag.
- If wanting to serve as a sandwich, bring opposite corners together and fasten with a toothpick.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until toasted and hot.
I make these all the time and they are a big hit. After rolling them jelly style I freeze them for about 20 minutes and cut each slice of bread into 3 pieces. It makes about 60 appetizers with one loaf of bread.
I am giving this recipe three stars...not because it wasn't fantastic tasting, it was.... problem is that there are no directions for half of the ingredients! I assumed that garlic, salt, pepper should be added at saute point, totally missed the Worcestershire sauce until I was cooling the mix, so added that at that point. Recipe seems to be quite forgiving for these ingredients, but would've appreciated some direction for remaining ingreds. Thanks for recipe, though... it IS good!
I will try this as ravioli filling