Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
From AOL Living: Food This recipe makes a great appetizer for a potluck supper any time of year. The turnovers can be made ahead of time, frozen, and baked just before serving.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup block-style fat free cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 1 lb mushroom, coarsely chopped
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- TO PREPARE PASTRY:.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour, cream cheese, butter, and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor; pulse 4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- With processor on, add ice water through food chute, processing until dough forms a ball.
- Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap.
- Cover and chill 15 minutes.
- TO PREPARE FILLING:.
- Place mushrooms in food processor, and process until finely chopped.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots; cook 1 minute or until soft. Stir in mushrooms, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Cook 10 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in basil.
- Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine 2 teaspoons water and egg white in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Divide dough into 24 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a ball; chill.
- Working with 1 portion at a time, roll each dough ball into a 4-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Lightly brush pastry with egg white mixture. Spoon about 2 teaspoons mushroom filling onto half of each circle.
- Fold dough over filling; press edges together with a fork to seal.
- Brush egg white mixture over pastry.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat procedure with remaining dough, filling, and egg white mixture, placing pastries 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.