Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve this low fat, hearty Italian style soup with a green salad and crusty whole wheat roll for a quick comforting meal. Vary the amount of red pepper flakes according to taste preference.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white part only, about 1 large)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels (or canned)
- 1 (796 ml) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- In large saucepan heat oil over medium heat; Add mushrooms, leeks, potato, garlic, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes; sauté about 5 minutes. Add water and corn; bring to boil and cover. Lower heat and simmer about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to boil; lower heat to simmer for about 10 minutes or until hot. Stir in parsley if desired.
- Variation: Garnish with low fat grated mozzarella or Parmesan cheese.