Chef Kate's Note:
To flavor and deepen the color of this meatless version of the American classic, add plenty of sauteed onions and sliced mushrooms, as well as a touch of soy sauce. Because this chili is made of vegetables, it cooks faster than meat-based chili. Serve it with hot tortillas or pita bread, or over rice or spaghetti. It makes a hearty main course. From the Florida Sun Sentinel.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil (or canola oil)
- 2 onions, large, chopped
- water (optional)
- 8 -12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, large, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano, fresh (or 1 1/2 tsps. dried oregano)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red beans, drained (or pinto beans)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 12 -16 ounces tofu, drained and cut in cubes (medium or firm)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Heat oil in a nonreactive wide Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Add onions and saute 5 minutes; add 1 or 2 Tbsps. hot water from time to time if pan becomes dry.
- 3Add mushrooms and garlic and saute 2 minutes.
- 4Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and pepper flakes, stir over low heat 30 seconds.
- 5Add tomatoes with juices and tomato paste. Stir and bring to a boil.
- 6Add beans and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- 7Add tofu and stir gently. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until chili is thick.
- 8Add cilantro, if using.
- 9Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- 10Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Tofu Chili
Serving Size: 1 (558 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.5
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1457.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.9 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 31.4 g