Recipe by JustJanS
This is Russell's version of a similar dish we had at a local restaurant. You could eat this as a lunch dish with a salad, but we ate it as a (hearty) appetiser.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Mushrooms were on sale yesterday so I bought lots. This was the first recipe I chose to make and what a winner it is. I made half a batch for a late breakfast and ate it ALL myself on a single slice of toasted (and unbuttered) light rye bread. I made one tiny change. Recently, a friend gave me a kilo of smoked paprika -- so I've been adding some to almost everything. I added 1/4 teaspoon to this. Perfect. Thanks Jan.
- 500 g mixed mushrooms, larger and older, mixed ok
- 100 g butter
- 100 ml cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 loaf of dense Italian bread or 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 100 g butter, extra, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Wipe clean, and thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until very well reduced and softened.
- We did this in 2 batches.
- Add the cream and bring to the boil, allow to reduce and thicken a little.
- Add the lemon juice, season very well with salt and pepper, and stir through the parsley.
- Meanwhile, slice the loaf into 10 slices.
- Butter with the extra softened butter (one side only) and place under the grill (broiler).
- Grill until golden on one side only and remove to a warmed serving dish.
- Pile the mushrooms onto the toasts and serve.