Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is Russell's version of a similar dish we had at a local restaurant. You could eat this as a lunch dish with a salad, but we ate it as a (hearty) appetiser.
- 500 g mixed mushrooms, larger and older, mixed ok
- 100 g butter
- 100 ml cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 loaf of dense Italian bread or 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 100 g butter, extra, softened
- Wipe clean, and thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until very well reduced and softened.
- We did this in 2 batches.
- Add the cream and bring to the boil, allow to reduce and thicken a little.
- Add the lemon juice, season very well with salt and pepper, and stir through the parsley.
- Meanwhile, slice the loaf into 10 slices.
- Butter with the extra softened butter (one side only) and place under the grill (broiler).
- Grill until golden on one side only and remove to a warmed serving dish.
- Pile the mushrooms onto the toasts and serve.
Mushrooms were on sale yesterday so I bought lots. This was the first recipe I chose to make and what a winner it is. I made half a batch for a late breakfast and ate it ALL myself on a single slice of toasted (and unbuttered) light rye bread. I made one tiny change. Recently, a friend gave me a kilo of smoked paprika -- so I've been adding some to almost everything. I added 1/4 teaspoon to this. Perfect. Thanks Jan.
This was one easy, simple recipe to make .......and great tasting, so I am told! I halfed this recipe and served for a late dinner for DD and she loved this so much. DH enjoyed what little was left over also! I followed as per recipe but only had normal sliced bread on hand which I toasted instead of sourdough..... But it seemed to make no difference they still loved it immensely. A keeper to serve on soudough for the whole family next time. Thanks Jan.
OH ME OH MY!!! This was a wonderful dish and worth way more then 5 stars. My DD Chef Buggsy (without the Mate) and myself are the only mushroom lovers in the house, and we devoured this for lunch today. DD has requested we finish off the mushrooms by making it again tomorrow and I whole heartedly agreed! This is a DEFINITE KEEPER! Made and reviewed for the 35th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.