Prep 50 mins
Cook 25 mins
I truly love mushrooms, and I truly love quiches and custard tarts. This is for those of a like mind. From Good Food Magazine May 1988. For the prepared tart shell, I recommend my recipe for Basic Tart Shell.
- 1 prepared tart shell for filled pastry dough or 1 custard-filled pastry dough
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced
- 6 ounces fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3⁄4 cup light cream
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Make tart shell.
- Meanwhile, soak porcini mushrooms in warm water to cover for 20 minutes. Squeeze liquid from mushrooms and reserve. Chop mushrooms.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add all mushrooms, half the salt, the pepper, and rosemary; cook, stirring frequently, until liquid evaporates, about 5-10 minutes. Add mushroom soaking liquid, and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 7 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolk, cream, Parmesan, remaining salt, and pepper to taste in mixing bowl until blended.
- Spread mushroom mixture evenly in tart shell and pour egg mixture over top.
- Bake tart until custard is set and pastry is lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.