Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A rich treat from the food network and Michael Chiarello.
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs cleaned mixed mushrooms (sliced or quartered depending on variety)
- gray salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 -3 shallots, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- flour, for dusting work surface
- 1 lb dried beans, for baking crostata shell
- 4 -8 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat 2 large saute pans over high heat.
- Working in batches divide the olive oil between the 2 pans.
- When the oil is hot but not quite smoking, add the mushrooms, season with gray salt and pepper, add the butter to each pan and allow to caramelize.
- Once mushrooms have cooked down to half their volume, transfer all mushrroms to 1 pan.
- Add the shallots and garlic and cook until the light brown and fragrant.
- Add the thyme until it crackles.
- Add the cream and bring up to a simmer.
- Reduce the cream by about half and stir in the grated parmesan, and the lemon juice.
- Shut off the flame and quickly stir in the beaten egg.
- Remove from the stove and let cool to room temperature.
- Add parsley and stir.
- While mushroom mixture is cooling, roll out the pastry dough on a floured surface.
- Roll the dough out so that it will line a 10-inch removable bottom tart pan.
- Line the dough with parchment paper and fill with the dry beans.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Remove beans and paper.
- Lower oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- When both the filling and shell have cooled to room temperature fill the shell with the mushroom mixture and top with the crumbled blue cheese.
- Arrange the tart mold on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
- Slice in wedges and serve.
Sounds good. I think I'll try it
My DH said he can eat the whole thing!@! I used leftover Recipe #266023 for the mushroom mixture. I added the cream and egg and so goofed because I didn`t read to reduce it by half! I did have to cook it 40 minutes. The texture was loose due to my error! But we did enjoy this delicious tart. A must make! Thanks!