Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A Moroccan mushroom spread that has a tomato base. Serve with a baguette that has been sliced into small pieces. Good vegetarian appetizer.
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb button mushroom, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves
- Place the stock in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and cook until reduced by half.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry onion and garlic until soft. Add mushrooms and cook 1-2 minutes until softened. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce and reduced stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Stir in basil leaves.
This is a very delicious spread. I followed the recipe closely, but found that I had to cook the tapenade for much longer than 10-15 minutes in order for it to dry out a bit (it was probably on the stove for an extra 10-15 minutes). We really liked this on toast! Thanks for posting.