Recipe by Sharon123
From Secrets in the Syrup by Jean-Georges Vongerichten, this is great served with fish, steak, or veal! Try it on Salmon With Roasted Shiitakes and Mushroom Sauce!
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
- 14 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems chopped (from 2 pounds shiitake mushrooms)
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the shiitake stems and cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until deeply browned, 5 minutes. Add the water and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduced to 1 cup, about 10-15 minutes. Strain the broth and return it to the saucepan. Boil over high heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 7 minutes.
- Serve with fish, steak, chicken, or veal.
- To make ahead:.
- The Mushroom Syrup can be refrigerated overnight. Melt it in a microwave oven before serving.