Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
My husband loves mushroom swiss burgers. I created this bunless alternative and now he has leftovers the next day. For meatloaf sandwich lovers, this is perfect! Just slap it between two pieces of bread!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 vidalia onion, onion. sliced thin
- 8 slices real swiss cheese
- 8 ounces button mushrooms (wiped clean and stems removed)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a skillet, melt butter and saute onion until no longer opaque (you can adjust the amount to 1/2 onion if your family doesn't love onions like mine).
- Slice mushrooms and add, cooking until done. (You may substitute a 4 oz. can of mushrooms, drained.)
- While onions are cooking, mix ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Tear off a sheet of aluminum foil, approximately the size of a 9x13 pan.
- Spread meat mixture onto foil in the shape of the rectangle. Place cheese slices down the middle crosswise (down the short center). Pour on onions and mushrooms.
- Fold edges of meat in towards the center. Seal seam.
- Flip the meat over into a baking dish, such as a 9x13 glass dish, seam side down and make sure ends and seams are sealed and no filling is exposed.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes. This can be served alone, with ketchup (for a burger taste), or even with brown gravy, if desired.