Recipe by M&Mers
This is a great dish to serve to company...it makes a nice lunch along with a crisp green salad. At Christmas time I made it the day before and then reheated it...tasted just as good as fresh from the oven.
Top Review by DebS #2
Loved this! I didn't follow the directions and pre-bake the crust:( and I should have. Other than that this is excellent. I used about 1/4 c Swiss Cheese that I mixed inside the egg mixture and I increased the nutmeg to 1/4 teaspoon because I love the Swiss cheese/mushroom/nutmeg combination. I plan to make this again soon and I promised myself I'd be a good girl and pre-bake the crust:)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onions
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half (10% cream)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 ounces grated swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
Directions See How It's Made
- For Pastry: Sift together the flour and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut the shortening in until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Slowly sprinkle ice water over the top, while tossing the mixture up from the bottom of the bowl with a fork.
- Gather the dough into a ball, using only enough water to hold the ball together.
- Wrap ball in waxed paper and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and roll out into a circle which is 2 inches larger than the diameter of the pie pan being used.
- Put dough into pan.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan.
- Fill with dry beans (this will stop the pastry from puffing up during baking).
- Bake in preheated 450F degree oven, on lowest rack, for 12 minutes.
- Take from oven and remove beans and foil (be careful, they will be hot).
- Meanwhile, prepare filling: Melt butter, add onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in mushrooms, 1 tsp salt and lemon juice.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are done and all the liquid has evaporated.
- Continue frying the mushrooms in the butter for about 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and cream together.
- Add the remaining salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Stir in the mushrooms.
- Pour into prepared pastry shell, sprinkle with swiss cheese and dot with softened butter.
- Bake in preheated 350F degree oven for 35 minutes or until quiche is puffy and browned, and a knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.