Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a great recipe to use up all your extra tomatoes from your summer's garden, although this recipe makes 6 servings, I always double the amount to make more, these are so good everyone will want to eat more than one. If you want a bit of extra flavour, you could add a couple of tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese to the sauted mushrooms
- 6 large tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs, plus
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- set oven to 350 degrees.
- cut a thin slice off top of each tomato.
- scoop out pulp, leaving 1/2-in shell.
- invert tomatoes on paper towels to drain.
- chop the pulp, reserving 1 cup.
- in skillet, saute mushrooms in 2 tbsp butter until tender.
- combine egg yolks and sour cream; add to mushrooms.
- stir in a 1/4 cup bread crumbs, salt, thyme pepper, and reserved tomato pulp simmer, uncovered, until thickened about 1 minute.
- spoon about 1/3 cupful into each tomato.
- place in ungreased 11x7 baking dish.
- melt remaining butter; toss with remaining bread crumbs.
- sprinkle over tomatoes.
- bake, uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.