Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
You can use whatever vegetable you want in this recipe for variety. I make these the day before Christmas dinner and don't finish baking them until then. Bring to room temperature before baking the next day. I also like to freeze extras for baking another time.
- 10 large baking potatoes
- 12 ounces canned mushrooms, drained well
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- granulated garlic
- Bake potatoes in a 350F oven for about 2 hours or until cooked.
- Cool potatoes until cool enough not to burn yourself.
- Slice a thin layer off the top of potato and scoop out potatoes leaving a thin layer of potato in shell.
- Mix the rest of ingredients together using granulated garlic amount to taste and over stuff the potato filling into each shell.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and bake around 30 minutes until cheese is melted on top.
My family loved it! And it was easy to make. I didn't have mushrooms so I just put whatever I found (yellow pepper, green onion, parsley) and they turned out great. I love the fact it is easy to substitute different vegtables in. Will make again.
My family really enjoyed these, and I like being able to make them ahead of time. I'll probably use smaller potatoes next time, as these turn out really huge when they're stuffed. I did need to add salt & pepper. Thanks for a great recipe.
Excellent recipe for make ahead and freezing! I cut the prep time by 2/3rds.I microwaved the potatoes which took about 15 minutes for 9 potatoes. Cooled and then scooped out the top. I used smaller potatoes so used less fillings. I used the major portion of cheese mixed with potatoes, added bonapetite seasoning(Mcormick, salt, pepper & garlic) and cheddar cheese & half cup milk instead sour cream & loads of mushrooms.Popped in 375* oven for 10 minutes to reheat and then another 4 minutes to melt the sprinkled cheese on top. I will make again. Thanks for posting.