Prep 50 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is great as an appetizer served with a cheese spread or to go with a soup or salad. Cook time includes rising time.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (105F to 115F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (may need a little more or less)
- 1⁄2 lb finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt and half the flour; beat well.
- Add more flour to make a stiff dough.
- Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- turn out onto floured board. Knead 10 minutes until satiny.
- Place into greased bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter until soft, 10 minutes on low heat.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Turn dought out onto oiled board. Divide into two parts.
- Pat each part out to make a 12-inch square.
- Spread with mushroom mixture, dividing equally.
- Roll each part up tightly.
- Place on cornmeal covered baking sheet.
- Let rise 1 hour until doubled.
- Brush with water. Slash loaves in 4 places.
- Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes until golden and crusty.