Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A nice and different way to serve eggplant. Makes a nice side dish presentation.
- 1 medium eggplants or 1 large eggplant
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms or 2 cups coarsely chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs, DIVIDED
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Halve the eggplant lengthwise. With a serrated spoon or a knife, scoop out pulp of eggplant, leaving about a 1/2" shell.
- Place shells on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet and bake in oven for about 10-12 minutes.
- While eggplant shells are in oven, finely chop the eggplant pulp.
- In a pan, over medium heat, melt butter. Add eggplant pulp, onion, parsley, salt, oregano, garlic and mushrooms. Cover and sauté, stirring occasionally, until eggplant pulp and mushroom are tender -- about 10 minutes or so.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and HALF of the breadcrumbs.
- Turn oven down to 350°F Remove eggplant shells.
- Spoon mixture into eggplant shells.
- Mix remaining half of breadcrumbs with melted butter. Sprinkle over filled eggplant.
- Place filled eggplant shells back in the oven bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes.
Mmm delicious! I used Quinoa rather than breadcrumbs, oil rather than butter and excluded parmesan. We've enjoyed a lot. Thanks.
Excellent! Of course I used substitutes however. I nixed the salt, used olive oil and smart balance butter instead of the regular butter and left out the breadcrumbs on top. Also *gasp!* I added a bit of ground sirloin. I would definitely make again maybe with some marinara sauce or with a zucchini. Thanks for this recipe!
I made this with italian herb seasoning in place of the straight oregano. I used the breadcrumbs that are mixed into the stuffing but not the buttered ones that are placed on top; instead I scattered more parmesan cheese over the top. I'm a big fan of eggplant, so of course I liked it a lot.