Top Review by Dr. Jenny
DH and I enjoyed this stuffed chicken breast recipe last night. It was easy to prep, easy to make, and came together quickly. I really liked the taste of the madeira wine sauce over the chicken, however, I thought the chicken itself was missing a little something I couldnt put my finger on (good, just missing a little something). I wonder if using smoked gouda next time might enhance the chicken? The sauce needed no modification; it was great as is. Thanks for posting.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 2 cups diced cremini mushrooms or 2 cups diced button mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 (1/2 ounce) slices gouda cheese or 4 (1/2 ounce) slices Fontina cheese
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine or 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 small cremini mushrooms (optional) or 4 small button mushrooms, halved (optional)
- thyme (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add diced mushrooms and garlic; saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in pepper, and set aside.
- Cut a horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each breast half to form a pocket.
- Stuff 2 tablespoons mushroom mixture and 1 slice cheese into each pocket.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from skillet.
- Set aside; keep warm.
- Add broth and Madeira to skillet.
- Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until reduced to 3/4 cup.
- Combine cornstarch and water; add to skillet.
- Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Return chicken to skillet; cover and simmer 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve sauce with chicken; garnish with mushrooms and thyme, if desired.