Recipe by Sharon123
A yummy burger stuffed with sauteed mushrooms!Adapted from Diana Rattray, Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine. Hamburgers originated in Germany. In the USA, New England claims the honor of introducing it, then it's popularity spread all over the US.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 6 slices cheddar cheese (or Mozzarella or American cheese)
- 6 split buns, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ground beef, onion, eggs, bread crumbs, ketchup, salt, and pepper; shape into into twelve thin (about 1/4-inch thick) patties.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and sauté the mushrooms until just tender.
- Place mushrooms on 6 of the patties. Top with remaining patties and seal edges.
- Broil or grill the burgers to desired doneness.
- Top each burger with a slice of cheese and let it melt. Serve on split toasted buns. Enjoy!