Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you are a mushroom lover (like me), and want a robust mushroom flavor, use a full-flavored wild mushroom like morels or porcinis. Other mushrooms (crimini, portobello, shitake, or even button) will work, just make sure you remove the tough stems before chopping. From Cooking Pleasures magazine.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 large hamburger buns with sesame seeds, split
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a medium bowl, gently mix together the beef, soy sauce, 3/4 tsp of the pepper, 1/2 tsp of the salt.
- Using generous 1/3 cup per patty, shape mixture into 8 (4 1/2-inch) patties 3/8 inch thick.
- Refrigerate while preparing the stuffing.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot.
- Add the butter and oil.
- Heat until hot and butter is melted.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for 8-10 min or until the mushrooms are browned and the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the green onions, Worcestershire sauce, remaining 1/2 tsp pepper and remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
- Let cool.
- Mound about 1/2 cup of the stuffing in the center of 4 of the patties.
- Cover with the remaining 4 patties, sealing the edges firmly by pressing together with your fingers.
- Gently press the center of the burgers to eliminate mounding.
- Heat the grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- Grill for 5-6 minute.
- Flip the burgers and grill for 5-6 min more, or until no longer pink in the center.
- Top each burger with 1 slice of cheese, and grill for another min or so - until the cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together all of the mayonnaise ingredients.
- Place the buns on the grill, split side down, and grill for 30-60 sec or until lightly toasted.
- Spread each bun with 2 Tbs of the mayonnaise.
- Top with a burger and a tomato slice.
5 star burger all the way - GREAT flavor - I loved it. I used cheddar cheese (no swiss at home) and I took a shortcut. I didn't pan fry the mushrooms and garlic.I added them raw to the center of the burger along with a wee pat of butter.Everything cooked perfectley. The Mayonnaise is a real flavor booster. I found I cut back on the salt because the Soy sauce was salty enough for me (I use very little salt) Thanks SkinnyMinnie for this super burger
Outstanding burgers! the flavor was great. I used Mozzerella sliced cheese in place of Swiss only because thats what I had on hand. These burgers were easy to make and very good. A recipe I highly recommend if your love mushrooms. Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe.