Recipe by evelyn/athens
If you love mushrooms, you'll love them in this delectable strudel. The soft, savoury filling and the crunch of buttery filo send this over the top.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Outstanding strudel, it really could not get any better than this! a little work but well worth the effort, I was lucky to get a taste of this, it all went so fast, next time I will make a double recipe, thanks Evelyn!...Kitten:)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces,at room temperature
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup thick Greek yogurt (if unavailable, use sour cream)
- 10 chopped water chestnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small lemon juice, from (about 2 tsps)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 20 sheets filo pastry
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 -3 teaspoons poppy seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions and saute until vegetables are golden and all liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in Sherry and salt and cook until Sherry is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and drain well.
- Return to skillet.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted (place over low heat, if necessary).
- Blend in breadcrumbs, yoghurt, parsley, water chestnuts, garlic, lemon juice, caraway seed and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease rimmed, large baking sheet.
- Place 1 filo sheet on work surface, cover remaining with dampened kitchen towel so they do not dry out.
- Brush filo sheet with melted butter, top with second filo sheet; brush with butter.
- Repeat until 10 sheets are stacked in this manner.
- Spoon half of mushroom filling in strip along 1 long edge of filo, leaving 3 inch margin at each end.
- Roll up filo to enclose filling, tucking in ends, as for a large spring roll.
- Transfer to baking sheet, seam side down.
- Brush top generously with butter and sprinkle with ½ of poppy seeds.
- Repeat with remaining filo and filling to form second strudel.
- Bake strudels until crisp and browned, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then cut each roll into 8 pieces.
- Serve immediately.