1 hr 10 mins
If you love mushrooms, you'll love them in this delectable strudel. The soft, savoury filling and the crunch of buttery filo send this over the top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces,at room temperature
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup thick Greek yogurt (if unavailable, use sour cream)
- 10 chopped water chestnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small lemon juice, from (about 2 tsps)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 20 sheets filo pastry
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 -3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Add mushrooms and onions and saute until vegetables are golden and all liquid has evaporated.
- 3Stir in Sherry and salt and cook until Sherry is absorbed.
- 4Remove from heat and drain well.
- 5Return to skillet.
- 6Add cream cheese and stir until melted (place over low heat, if necessary).
- 7Blend in breadcrumbs, yoghurt, parsley, water chestnuts, garlic, lemon juice, caraway seed and pepper.
- 8Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 9Grease rimmed, large baking sheet.
- 10Place 1 filo sheet on work surface, cover remaining with dampened kitchen towel so they do not dry out.
- 11Brush filo sheet with melted butter, top with second filo sheet; brush with butter.
- 12Repeat until 10 sheets are stacked in this manner.
- 13Spoon half of mushroom filling in strip along 1 long edge of filo, leaving 3 inch margin at each end.
- 14Roll up filo to enclose filling, tucking in ends, as for a large spring roll.
- 15Transfer to baking sheet, seam side down.
- 16Brush top generously with butter and sprinkle with ½ of poppy seeds.
- 17Repeat with remaining filo and filling to form second strudel.
- 18Bake strudels until crisp and browned, about 25 minutes.
- 19Let cool 5 minutes, then cut each roll into 8 pieces.
- 20Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.7
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 51.8 mg
- Sodium 452.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: