Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Crispy phyllo-based "strudel" with a simple mushroom duxelles filling. Can also be made into triangles for a party appetizer. Freezes nicely (unbaked) so you can make it ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Saute mushrooms in butter and olive oil till well-softened.
- Add sherry, thyme, cream, and salt/pepper and cook till thickened.
- Lay out the phyllo sheets, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Cut in half so you have two equal rectangles.
- Spread half the mushroom mixture over one of your phyllo rectangles, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges.
- Fold the short side edges over the mushroom mixture and then roll the whole thing lengthwise so you have a long, fat cylinder with no mushroom filling poking out.
- Repeat with remaining mushroom mixture and the other rectangle.
- Place rectangles side-by side, seam-side down, on a baking sheet, and bake in oven 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
- **Alternate preparation: Using two phyllo sheets at a time, cut into 6-8 strips and prepare as you would for spanakopita, folding each strip into a triangle.
- Use a Tbsp
- of the mushroom filling for each one.
No need to worry if your guests & family will love these. They won't last long. I made individual triangles and the receipe made 2 dozen The sherry mellows the flavor of the mushrooms and gives a slight mysterious edge to them. I froze them on a cookie sheet and then in plastic wrap and boxed them. I did add 8 drops of hot sauce. Thanks Tracey K , great recipe
I finally got around to making these last night! We really liked them, though I think next time I will follow S'kat's lead and add a bit of cheese to the mixture. I think that would give it just the right kick of flavor to make this truly outstanding. I made the triangles, and they took about 15 minutes in the oven. Thanks for the recipe, Tracy! :)
I made these as companions to spinach spanakopitta's during canarygirl's Spanakopitta class. They were a hit, though I did make a little change: herbed goat cheese and a bit of parmesan were added to the mushrooms once they came off the heat. Absolute perfection. I made cylinders that were brushed with butter just before being placed into the oven. Unfortunately, there were no leftovers for me. I can't wait to make them again!