Recipe by MarraMamba
what a fantastic combination, mushrooms in a yummy stroganoff sauce flavored with a little brandy and mashed potatoes, dinner on the table in 30 mins. Update 24/02/12 Made and devoured, it really is a dish where you don't miss the meat..but could add some.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
We really enjoyed this mushroom stroganoff for dinner tonight. The sauce over the mustardy potatoes was very flavorful. I am also not a big fan of sour cream, so I appreciated that this recipe did not use it as most stroganoff recipes do. Thanks for an enjoyable dinner.
For the mash
- 750 g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 20 g butter or 20 g margarine
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 150 ml milk or 150 ml soya milk
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
For the stroganoff
- 40 g butter or 40 g margarine
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 whole garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 500 g white mushrooms, assorted, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 150 ml thick double cream
- 1 tablespoon dill, finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil or steam the potatoes until tender. Drain and return to the pan. Mash, and add the butter, mustard and chives. Heat the milk, pour over the potatoes and beat inches
- To make the stroganoff, melt the rest of the butter or margarine in a pan. Add shallots and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes. Add the paprika and the mushrooms and cook until just soft.
- Add the brandy and stir in the cream and dill. Season to taste then heat gently - cover and keep warm.
- To assemble, serve individually by placing equal portions of the mashed potato on each plate. Spoon the stroganoff over the top, and garnish with parsley.