Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Nice, "meaty" portabellos make for a healthier twist on a hearty comfort food that is very easy to prepare. Based on a recipe from Dr. Gillian McKeith's You Are What You Eat Cookbook, but tweaked for more flavor. Feel free to sub your favorite mushrooms in place of the button mushrooms.
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom, trimmed
- 4 large portabello mixed mushrooms, trimmed and thickly sliced
- 1 cup button mushroom, trimmed and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley
- Place the onion in a medium-sized frying pan with the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of water and cook gently for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Mix the vinegar and mustard into the soy milk. Pour into the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for a further 5 minutes on medium heat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle on the parsley and serve over brown rice or gluten-free pasta.
So great! just be sure to incorporate wine when sauteing.