Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A few clever substitutions can make this traditional creamy casserole low in fat and calories. Recipe from Good Food magazine, February 2012.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 ounces mixed mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium beef broth or 3⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons half-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 ounce parsley, roughly chopped
- 9 ounces cooked wild rice
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and soften the onion for about 5 minutes Add the garlic and paprika, then cook for 1 min more. Add mushrooms and cook on a high heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes
- Pour in the stock and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, bubble for 5 mins until the sauce thickens, then turn off the heat and stir through the soured cream, season with lots of black pepper and most of the parsley.
- Make sure the pan is not on the heat or the sauce may split.
- Heat rice following pack instructions, then stir through the remaining parsley and serve with the stroganoff.
Be careful not to use too much broth. Mine ended up too salty.