Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy way to get that delicious stroganoff flavor without the time or meat! I love to use dried mushrooms because rehydrating them creates such a rich broth, and they also have a more pleasant texture for eating. You can get dry shitake mushrooms in the Asian foods section, and they usually cheaper there. However, for a more elegant dish, dried morrels, chanterells or porcini mushrooms are very nice. Drink with dark beer or pinot noir.
- 1 cup dried mushroom
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- Bring the mushrooms and broth to a boil in a sauce pan. As soon as it boils, take it off the heat and let steep for at least 20 minutes.
- Saute the onions in butter in a large skillet until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir. Cook for at least two more minutes, until the flour is fully absorbed and starting to change color.
- Slowly add the mushroom broth, bring to boil until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and add the sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over egg noodles cooked according to directions.