Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I adapted this recipe from one I found in a cooking magazine called Mary Dee's. You could add cooked meat to this if you wanted to, but it is very good as is. When I bring this stew to work for lunch, the garlic guarantees popularity ALL afternoon!
- 1 lb fresh white mushroom (trimmed & sliced)
- 8 fresh roma tomatoes (, chopped)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup rotini pasta
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (drained)
- In large soup pot, combine mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, garlic, red pepper, broth, and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, loosely covered, for 20 minutes.
- Turn heat to high, uncover and cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt& pepper.
- In another pan, cook pasta until tender.
- Drain pasta and add to stew along with beans.
- Mix gently and serve hot.
- For Vegetarian use vegetable stock.
This was a very good .... sauce. I was actually looking for stew because I was on fast/diet and I couldn't have pasta, rice, meat etc. This was a VERY good sauce, very spicy, now that I can have the rotini I'm going to try it again! I had no problems with the recipe, very easy to make and feel the house up with a great aroma! Thanks for posting this! Bridget
Tastey stuff. Loved the whole garbonzo, tomato thing- gave it a hunter style feel. A few things I did different- I browned the red pepper, garlic, onions and mushrooms in a bit of olive oil first, then proceeded as instructed. I also used wagon wheel pasta as that was what I had and my guests thought they were a hoot! I also used a mixture of mushrooms: some white button, some crimini, and some reconstituted shitakii's (YUM). Mmmm Mushroomy goodness. ;)
Very tasty, but just not quite what sings for us. Personal taste, so please, guys, don't let this review discourage you from trying it.