Recipe by digbygal
Top Review by yogiclarebear
Well, this turned out pretty good! I was very pleased with the taste. I used some spinach-feta chicken sausages that I needed to use up. I also used non-fat ricotta cheese in place of the cottage cheese, and non-fat mozzerella as well. My only gripe was that it seemed a little to "watery," so I might drain a bit of the tomato juice out next time. Thanks!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lasagna noodles, preferably whole-wheat
- 3 lbs lean spicy Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 12 cups sliced mushrooms (about 2 pounds)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 1⁄2 lbs fresh spinach, well rinsed
- 3 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, preferably chunky
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 lbs part-skim cottage cheese (6 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 6 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray. Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Cook noodles in boiling water until not quite al dente, about 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain; return the noodles to the pot, cover with cool water and set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and water; cook, stirring occasionally and crumbling the sausage more, until the sausage is cooked through, the water has evaporated and the mushrooms are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir spinach into pan; remove from heat.
- Mix tomatoes with basil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- To assemble lasagna: Spread one-fourth of the tomatoes in prepared baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles on top, trimming to fit if necessary. Evenly dollop half the cottage cheese over the noodles. Top with half the sausage mixture, one-third of remaining tomatoes and one-third of remaining mozzarella. Continue with another layer of noodles, the remaining cottage cheese, the remaining sausage, half the remaining tomatoes, and half the remaining mozzarella. Top with a third layer of noodles and remaining tomatoes.
- Cover the lasagna with foil and bake until bubbling and heated through, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove the foil and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on the lasagna. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is just melted but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.