Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Adapted from Thalia's Restaurant in New York City, via Rachael Ray's $40 a Day. Wow, this is good!
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 4 bunches spinach, washed
- 1 cup ice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 cup small white onion, diced
- salt and pepper
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 8 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- In a large pot bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add salt to pot. Add spinach to pot and cook for 30 seconds. Remove spinach from pot and immediately transfer to a bowl with 1 cup of water and ice. When the spinach is cool, drain it and squeeze out the excess water. Chop spinach roughly.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over high heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low and saute until it's golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove stems and black gills from the mushrooms. In a medium mixing bowl, toss the mushrooms with olive oil and salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer mushrooms to a small baking pan and roast in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and let cool. Once cooled, dice the mushrooms and set aside.
- Turn up the oven temperature to 400*F.
- In a medium nonstick ovensafe saucepan set over medium-low heat, add 1 teaspoon of butter, 1/2 of the spinach, 1/2 of mushrooms, and 1/2 of eggs. Season mixture with salt and pepper. When eggs begin to set, top with 1/8 cup goat cheese. Place in oven and bake for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Repeat with another teaspoons of butter and the other half of the spinach, mushrooms, eggs and another 1/8 cup goat cheese to make a second frittata(seasoning with salt and pepper) and serve. Enjoy!
This is a really great frittata, I used feta cheese in place of goat cheese and used white button mushrooms in place of the portabellos, also I used frozen spinach for this. Thanks Sharon, my DH will enjoy this for brunch!...Kitten:)
This was excellent. I sauteed my onions and mushrooms together then added the spinach and cooked that for a few minutes then added in the eggs. I made the two batches together in one pan. This would serve 6 in my family. I think next time I'll add some additional seasonings as others have done. Thanks Made for Holiday tag game
Cleaning out the fridge and this fit the bill. I used regular button mushrooms instead of portabella. Garlic and herb goat cheese (more than 1/4 cup) and some sun-dried tomatoes, only one bag of spinach. Sauteed the spinach with the mushrooms and onions in olive oil. Very nice flavors. I would definitely make this one again. Loving these frittata recipes on the tour. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT4.