Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This easy creation can be served as a one-dish vegetarian meal, or forget about the pasta and sauce and just serve the veggies as a side dish. This was created one night recently when I couldn't decide on dinner.
- 1 package cheese tortellini
- 1 jar prepared alfredo sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups Baby Spinach, washed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- freshly grated nutmeg, , optional
- parmesan cheese, to pass
- Prepare cheese tortellini according to package directions; heat alfredo sauce in the microwave or in a saucepan.
- Meanwhile, place oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat and add garlic; saute for 30 seconds then add mushrooms to pan.
- Drain cooked tortellini and return to pot, pour in heated alfredo sauce and stir well; place tortellini and sauce in a preheated shallow serving bowl (rinse with very hot tap water then quickly dry).
- As mushrooms are cooking, they will start to release their liquid; when this happens, add salt and pepper to taste, and basil; stir.
- Now add baby spinach to pan but do not stir.
- Let spinach steam on top of mushrooms for about 1 minute, then stir; very quickly the spinach will wilt, which indicates it's done; don't overcook.
- Pour vegetable mixture on top of tortellini; try to keep it in centre rather than all over top.
- If desired, very lightly dust with freshly grated nutmeg; a light touch must be used or the flavour will be too overpowering.
- Serve immediately, with parmesan cheese on the table for those who want it.