Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
When Mushrooms are cheap make a batch of this & freeze what you don't want immediately. When slicing mushrooms, set one aside for garnish. From Charmaine Solomon's Complete Vegetarian Cookbook.
- 500 g mushrooms, wiped & sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon miso
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups water
- 2 slices bread, crusts trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- thickened cream, to garnish
- 2 tablespoons parsley or 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped, to garnish
- Melt butter in a heavy-based saucepan and cook the onions on low heat until soft.
- Add garlic, parsley and miso paste and stir for 3 minutes over moderate heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook, covered, over low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Add stock and the bread and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool slightly and puree in a blender.
- Reheat without boiling and stir in evaporated milk just before serving.
- Top each soup filled bowl with a teaspoon of thickened cream poured in a swirl from the tip of the teaspoon then draw the tip of a knife through the cream in spokes from the centre, to form a decorative "web".
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley or chives over and lay a thin slice of mushroom on top.