Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a traditional soup in the Sub-Carpathian region, served on Christmas Eve to end the Christmas fast. The soup is served with Bobalky, a bread shaped into balls (see my recipe).
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (not canned or jared)
- 1 quart water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- sauerkraut juice (from Bobalky, if made)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Wash mushrooms and cook in water until tender.
- Strain, reserving water.
- Chop mushrooms.
- Add sauerkraut juice, salt, and pepper to water (to taste).
- Return to a boil.
- Brown flour in butter until light brown.
- Add onion and saute until brown.
- Add 1/4 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Strain and add to mushroom water along with the mushrooms.
- Simmer until everything is at serving temperature.
- Serve with Bobalky.