Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe reminds me of a mushroom soup recipe from one of my favorite restaurants.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 stalks chopped celery
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 leeks, chopped (white part only)
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (14 ounce) canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 cups cream
- Remove stems from mushrooms; slice 6 cups worth caps. Set sliced mushrooms aside. Place mushrooms stems and remaining caps in stockpot with chicken stock and boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté celery, onion, leeks, carrots, and garlic over medium heat until onions are translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add vegetable mix to chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- In a small saucepan melt 1 cup of butter over low heat. Add flour to make a roux and cook till bubble about 5 minutes Stir roux constantly so it doesn’t burn.
- Add 16 cups well strained stock. Simmer on low 20 + minutes Remover soup and puree
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in sauté pan and 6 cups shiitake mushrooms and sauté 5 minutes over medium heat. Add tomatoes to soup and cook 5 minutes Season with salt and pepper. Add heavy cream and heat through.
- Add this mix to soup and stir well.