Recipe by Faery Dust
Nothing beats this soup on a cold night, with crusty bread. Mmmm... Tip! I've substituted the sherry for the brandy out of brandied cumquats and it gives it a nice zesty sweetness.
- 60 g butter
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 500 g mushrooms, sliced (best if you use a mix)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sweet sherry
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon almond meal, to thicken (about 1-2 tbsp)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in saucepan and soften onions.
- Add mushrooms and thyme, cover and cook slowly until mushrooms collapse.
- Stir, increase heat, uncover and add wine and sherry and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add preferred stock and season to taste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree in food processor until smooth then return to pan.
- Add almond meal for a little thicker texture .
- Add desired amount of cream. More or less depending how rich you want it.
- Reheat gently.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg when serving.
- Don't forget the bread and wine!